A brief overview of chicken salad recipes
A simple yet nutritious and easy-to-make lunch is a chicken salad. There are numerous chicken salad recipes to try. But the basic element of every remains the same, tender chicken mixed with a perfect combination of flavors. Chicken salad can be served in a sandwich, rolled up in a tortilla, or served on a bed lettuce for the perfect nutritious and delicious meal.
What are some interesting ingredients you can add to a chicken salad?
A simple chicken salad recipe includes tender chicken, mayonnaise, seasonings, celery, green onions, and almonds. Below are some ingredients that can make your simple chicken salad interesting:
- Water chestnuts– These delicious nuts add a delicious crunch to a simple chicken salad.
- Greek yogurt– You may also add a little bit of Greek yogurt to add a scrumptious tangy flavor to your chicken salad.
- Chopped grapes– This ingredient can add a little sweet flavor to your salad.
- Dill– Dill, chopped pickles and a slice of cheddar cheese will spruce up the flavors of any chicken salad recipe
- Add-ons– You can also add a layer of a few extra toppings that can include cucumbers, lettuce, and tomatoes and make the best sandwich with your favored toppings.
How to cook chicken for a chicken salad?
Tender chicken is the key to a delicious and a perfect chicken salad. Whether you love a yummy curried chicken salad or a healthy avocado chicken salad, the old school poached chicken is perfect for any chicken salad recipe. You can poach chicken for a chicken salad in the following manner:
- Defrost the chicken in order for it to come to a room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Gently pound to flatten the chicken to a more even thickness.
- Add aromatics to the poaching liquids. Common aromatics include garlic, lemon, onions, bay leaf, rosemary, peppercorns, dill, and thyme.
- Add fresh and dried chives, ginger, and garlic if you want to make a Chinese-inspired chicken salad or a Indian-inspired curried chicken salad.
- Place the chicken into a pot and cover it with cold water.
- Season with plenty of salt.
- Cook till chicken is ready.
How long does chicken salad last?
- Chicken salad can be kept in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days only if the chicken is fresh on the day you make it.
- It is preferred to keep any unused portion in the refrigerator quickly.
Can you freeze chicken salad?
- Unfortunately, mayonnaise does not freeze well, which is the base for dressing in most of the chicken salad recipes.
- For a ready-to-go chicken salad, it is suggested to finely chop the chicken and seasonings like water chestnuts and freeze them.
- Freeze the crumbled chicken in single serving portions.
Which are some of the healthy chicken salads?
Some of the delicious, nutrient-rich, and health chicken salads, are:
- Chicken Waldorf salad– The chicken Waldorf salad is made from the leftover chicken loaded with apples, grapes, celery, and walnuts. If you are using rotisserie chicken you must keep in mind that it is salty and lessen the salt in the dressing.
- Crunchy chicken and mango salad– This is an Asian inspired salad, which has an excellent crunch because of sugar snap peas and Napa cabbage.
- Grilled cajun chicken salad– It has a spicy rub on the chicken, which adds strong features to the cool salad’s greens in this low in calorie main dish.
- Classic house salad with chicken– This is a healthy salad with leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken, which is full of proteins and best for lunch. This traditional chicken has a combination of all of the basics of a great house salad, which includes veggies, tomatoes, cucumbers, and croutons completely tossed with a tangy red-wine vinaigrette.
- Mediterranean chicken with orzo salad– In this salad, baked chicken breasts are cooked in the oven while you mix together the Mediterranean salad, which is full of veggies, whole-wheat orzo, and an easy homemade Greek vinaigrette